Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My PBL


Here is my cicada report.

Choose your level of challenge.


Criteria - “What’s Good”


A
B
C
* All writing must be done 1st. The photos, pics, diagrams etc are done after when you choose how to present your report.

  • 1-2 paragraphs
  • Put it in your own words
  • Include a few keywords/topic words
* All writing must be done 1st. The photos, pics, diagrams etc are done after when you choose how to present your report.

  • 3+ paragraphs
  • Put it in your own words
  • Include some keywords/topic words
* All writing must be done 1st. The photos, pics, diagrams etc are done after when you choose how to present your report.

  • 4 + paragraphs
  • Put it in your own words
  • Include keywords/topic words


NIKAU HUB GOAL FOCUS:


Structure
I use text structures to organise my writing effectively for its purpose.




My Goals (x3) are:  (insert link PV Kidspeak Writing Progressions)


I write some complex sentences.


I choose words and phrases appropriate to the topic and purpose.


I attempt to use some complex punctuation.   ‘ , ; :   ( )

Cicada
------------------------------------


Contents
Introduction - what they are
Habitat
What they do
Glossary
------------------------------------


What they are  
A cicada is an insect that is a camouflage colour like a brown and dark green combined into one colour. Some cicadas have green,grey or camo colours. It looks like a bigger vision of a fly. The cicadas lives underground for 17 year and after 17 years they come out. Cicadas were first found in North America.  Cicadas have 4 wings two on each side. Cicadas can grow up to 1-2 centimetres in their lifetime. Cicadas are part of a species called Magicicada.  


Habitat
Cicadas are found in some countries in the world such as               New Zealand,North America,Australia,India,Japan and a lot more countries. Cicadas live underground because once a root is found.  The cicadas will stay near it, tunneling and feeding on the roots. After 2-17 year they will emerge to the ground as a nymph, then they will find the nearest tree and shed their their Nymph exoskeleton.


What they do
Cicadas don't eat anything they drink they find there food in a maple tree its called a xylem.
Image result for why do cicada killers kill cicadas


Lots of different animals/creatures such as Eastern cicada killer eat cicadas because that just what they eat. Cicadas are also important to trees because they help make the soil healthy.  Cicadas are also a very noisy insect. They make this noise by using their tymbal Muscles tug at it rapidly to create sound vibrations. Magicicada septendecim tymbaltymbal animation.
Male cicadas make this noise to attract other female cicadas that their around. If the females  hear it they will snap their wings that mean for the male cicadas to come closer.






The Cicada’s life cycle is very interesting. First,there egg will hatch underground . Next they will find a root underground and feed of that and start tuning underground for 2-17 year .  Then after 2-17 year they will emirge from the ground as a nymphs . Finally they will go to the nearest tree a shed their nymph skin. And then they will make a sound to attract females and then the females will respond and then they will mate and lays eggs.


Glossary


camouflage/kirihuna -  a way of covering itself with leaves and branches so that it blends in


Exoskeleton - wears it skeleton on the outside of its body


species/tarakihi - a group of animals/plants that are similar


xylem/tariwai - plant tissue


Emerge/maea - come out of


This is my model of a cicada that I made  


The learning muscle that I use to create it was my persevering muscle by not rushing. 

The thing I am most proud of is starting my art late and finishing it first. 
  How I made my model:

How I made it is I got some newspaper and scratched it up into a ball and then taped it in to place. Next I put papermache over the tape and then waited for it to dry. Then I painted over the papermache green and black and then waited for it to dry as I was waiting I started to make the legs I used pipe cleaners. I cut them down to about the same size next i painted them black and taped them on to my model.







No comments:

Post a Comment